2010-03-04

Today's Progress...

...seemed slow to me. Maybe it was my mood. Most students found resources that engaged them and were using the laptops today. I gave them a little more direction to tell them where my other classes would be today and tomorrow. I think that helped most of them. However, some are really concerned and want to practice more problems together with me. I'll accommodate that in a small group tomorrow.

Surprising to me, when given the option of discontinuing homework in exchange for a project of individual design, all those present chose to continue homework. It must be noted that my current homework policy is universally accepted by students because it gives them freedom to skip one or two assignments every unit and still receive full credit for the homework portion. However, I really want to see what kind of projects students would come up with. Perhaps I will try again next unit and see if there are any converts.

On the plus side, this method of teaching benefits the class because I can spend my time and effort on the ones who need extra help, while not holding others back from their learning. I think this aspect has great potential for good.

The other teacher and I submitted answers to our administrator's questions today. I think we had a strong combined response. It is hard to say what may come of it, but it cannot hurt to ask for support for this experiment.

One other thing I have noted. I usually enjoy my third period very much. When my next class arrives, I am deflated to have to teach in a more teacher-centric manner again. I really like that class of students, so that helps mitigate this effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment