2010-03-05

Mostly a Thumbs-Up

I took an informal poll at the end of class today. I was watching especially those who had expressed reservations at the beginning. Some of them have converted to thumbs up. Most who expected good things are thumbs up. Quite a few of both groups are so-so. One thumbs down. I think I need to do more work to help guide some students. Research more websites and make lists of which are good for which needs students may have. Assist students more in using JMP for their own analyses. Overall, though, I am pleased. Students are much more engaged in this classroom.

I am viewing my classroom as a learning lab, with different options for students to choose, depending upon their needs at the moment.

We are finishing up with 2-sample t-tests/intervals and will begin with tests/intervals of proportions on Monday. Another thing is that this approach may make it easier to change the ordering of topics. Hmm. I'll have to think on that for next year. I might like to do that - have wanted to before, but inertia, you know.

I should mention that many students used their time to read the textbook and to try problems. I have decided to be open-mnded and let a student choose what he or she needs at any given moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment