2010-02-20

Student Reflections Summary

The following were culled from student reflections as my third period experiment gets underway:

pros:
  • look up what I need/explore concepts I have trouble with
  • help with simulating data compared with calculators
  • learn at my own pace
  • independent learning will be useful skill for college
  • plenty of resources available
  • promotes true learning over memorization
  • forces us to think critically
  • no stress, enjoyable, relaxing
  • pace will be quicker
  • allows us to pick our own path
  • make the environment suit ourselves
  • opportunity to develop my own methods
  • not worry about holding others up
  • resources will provide multiple ways of solving the same problems
  • will help promote my natural ability to learn and problem-solve
  • reduces possible factors that may bother me in the classroom
  • lets me learn my own way and find ways to solve problems that work for me
  • will help me learn the material a lot better
  • During the beginning this process of using the laptops will perhaps not be as effective as possible. However, once I have used them for a few class periods, I will have a good amount of links to visit and applications to use with a good amount of familiarity and ease. And if the laptops do not perform as I had hoped, then I do not have to use them.

cons:
  • need some sort of direction
  • searching around a lot and not finding much
  • does this teach in the way we need for AP exam?
  • need to supplement with check-ins to make sure we are on same page
  • want to be able to listen to music
  • need to balance with more structured work from textbook (nightly homework)
  • would be helpful to go over everything we need to learn to make sure we have everything
  • typically I learn best when I am directly taught/prefer lecture-style learning from teacher because it is most efficient
  • I may have to put more effort into my studies
  • might like a mix of independent model and traditional model/alternate days
  • lengthy logins may waste time/hope login times will improve significantly
  • would like wireless privileges so can use my own laptop
  • didn't learn anything online - found only quizzes whereas I wanted to get the concepts clear
  • need the function and order of daily lecture and reinforcement of the reading
Class of 23 breaks down as follows:
5 mostly negative, 4 vote for a balance, 13 mostly positive, 1 did not vote due to absence

No comments:

Post a Comment