2010-02-19

Experiment Day #2

I am feeling good about this so far. I must admit that I lectured about Type I and Type II Errors today, though. I told them yesterday I would do this. It is truly the hardest thing for students to understand. Just before I started, one student asked me about something he had found yesterday. He was wondering about the p-value approach that we learned versus the critical value approach. It was a wonderful moment because I could answer his question quickly and did not have to involve the other students so much. They had other things to do, so they weren't restless and chatty, as they are in the traditional classroom model.
Logins seemed MUCH faster today. Even the students were surprised. The result was that as I lectured, they were active on their laptops. Honestly, I preferred this audience to the others I had for the same material during other periods. These students were more engaged, and there was a more positive energy in the classroom. When I was done, they did their thing. One student had typed his own version of the chart I presented on the board. When I explained how, he posted it to the classroom wiki. I then mentioned it so that others could see what he had produced. Several of the students pulled that up, I noticed. One student tried a CD I had offered, but was thwarted when the software insisted on an installation process that he wasn't authorized to do. I told him I would look into that and have some resolution for next time. He found a nifty version of statistical tables inside the CD box, though. Smaller version of what he has been using in class. It is funny what students will appreciate.
When he asked a question, I was able to talk to one of my most advanced students about the two statistical camps: frequentists/probabilists versus Bayesians. He had been exposed to Bayesian modeling in math competition training before. He needs this type of exchange with me to help him fit pieces of the puzzle together for complete understanding, but hasn't been getting it because the traditional classroom model doesn't give me the freedom I am getting from this classroom model.
The students had a good amount of time on the laptops today, but we may have to go to the computer lab on Monday. I am still sorting out the computer situation so that others also have access when they need them. Will likely be seeking a grant for classroom sets of laptops for the future.
Students who did not turn in pre-experiment reflections yesterday turned them in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment