2010-01-20

How Do I Learn? From My Own Mistakes

I attended a roundtable discussion in Second Life yesterday afternoon. In the course of the discussion I volunteered to the group that I had received no formal orientation to the virtual world. The implication being that I was doing okay without it. Minutes later I discovered, much to my dismay, that I had my voicechat microphone on and it was disrupting the roundtable. The group also noticed and someone asked for whomever it was to turn off the microphone. I sheepishly apologized and continued my participation.

Later, I was reflecting on the experience. In other less crucial circumstances, I had experienced a mysterious sudden activation of my microphone when I did not intend for it to be turned on. I wondered what was happening. Suddenly, I remembered! In early days, when I was trying to figure out voicechat, I set up a shortcut key. "V" would be a toggle to turn on voicechat. I guess I had been using words containing the letter "V" when these incidents occurred. I quickly fixed my preferences so that this would not happen any more. I don't think I need a shortcut key. I've learned my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment