2009-12-13

How Did I Learn Today? (Suite - Yesterday, actually)


Yesterday, I tried a learning experiment.
I created an avatar and entered Second Life (SL) for the first time.
Above is my first snapshot in SL.

The day before I had watched a video from the K12 Online Conference, explaining how new users are oriented to Second Life. Orientation in Second Life. (I don't think I finished watching the vid, because I had to go out for parking lot duty, and once I returned it was Friday after school, so I wanted to depart.) The last part of the presentation was about a graduate student's project trying to create a better orientation system for new users. From his part of the presentation alone, I learned how to move my avatar once I was in SL.

Once I had my avatar created, I ended up rejecting the idea that I had to go to orientation at all, and went to the destination I sought. It was an educational island, so on the weekend no one was there except myself. How did I learn?

  • I used trial and error. 
  • I explored anything that looked interesting to me. 
  • I went wherever I wanted to go. 
  • I took my time. 
  • I tried whatever I wanted to try.
I can report that my learning experience was a good one. I was able to play 2 videos (both human and avatar characters explaining various features of the island), change my clothes when freebies were offered (just after my accidental plunge in the ocean, I suspect), explore 4 different areas on this island, experience both rain and snow, take several snapshots of my avatar, walk, sit, talk (still learning about this aspect), teleport, and fly!

I have more to learn on my next visit, but I feel properly oriented, and ready, now, to interact with others when I encounter them.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Kay. I hope the video helped your experience in Second Life. As we found, many Western users want to create their own initial experience. I am glad to see that you found it rearding and stimulating. A testimony that perhaps people really only need to watch a short video as orientation.

    Debs Butler (Virtually Linked Ltd)

    ReplyDelete